[ft-devel] Anti alias plus colour ... help needed

From: Mark Jackson
Subject: [ft-devel] Anti alias plus colour ... help needed
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 20:40:01 +0000

I'm a newbie to freetype, but I have managed to get my first simple string rendering routines working on our target platform, using the 8bit anti alias output, and the following basic algorithm ...

FT_Init_FreeType();
FT_New_Face();
FT_Set_Char_Size();
FT_Load_Char();
draw_bitmap();  /* code to copy glyph bitmap to lcd */

The trouble I now have is when trying to incorporate colour. The basic glyph bitmap is 8bit gray scale, but I would like to be able to specify a background and foreground colour.

The anti alias routine (obviously since it's gray scale !!) assumes a white foreground and black background. Any attempts to incorporate different colours look terrible (since the AA info is now wrong).

I have Googled for an answer, but only found a reference to using the FT_Outline_Render() function, but no examples (which has stumped me due to my being a beginner).

Can someone tell me if this is the function I need to be using (in which case I'll persevere) ? If not, is this possible at all ? Where should I be looking ? Does anyone have any examples ?

This must have been done before, and I hate re-investing the wheel.

Thanks for any help you can give me.