Re: [ft-devel] (copy) Freetype to Cairo - newb needs help

From: Behdad Esfahbod
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] (copy) Freetype to Cairo - newb needs help
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:07:38 -0400

On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 02:33 -0400, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > 1. I want to use pure python.
>
> Hmm.  If I remember correctly, a longer time ago there was a message
> about someone having written a python wrapper for FreeType.  Whether
> this still exists or whether it is up to date, I don't know.

Using ctypes it's quite easy:

  http://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2007-October/011700.html

Basically, the freetype part comes down to:

from ctypes import *

ft_so = CDLL("libfreetype.so.6")

ft_lib = c_void_p()
assert 0 == ft_so.FT_Init_FreeType (byref (ft_lib))

ft_face = c_void_p()
assert 0 == ft_so.FT_New_Face (ft_lib, fontfile, 0, byref(ft_face))

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

        -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759