Re: [ft-devel] building xpdf on Solaris x86

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] building xpdf on Solaris x86
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 15:28:01 +0200 (CEST)

> I've downloaded the xpdf source package from sourceforge.net along
> with the freetype package
>
> in building the freetype project first, I've done:
> ./configure
> make
> make install
>
> the latter fails with error:
> make: *** [/tmp/freetype-2.3.5/objs/libfreetype.la] Error 1

Hmm.  I doubt that this is related to what you describe below.

> I've looked in freetype-2.3.5/src/tool/ftrandom and when I try to
> use the Makefile down there, I get the following error:
>
> make: *** No rule to make target `../../../objs/libfreetype.a',
> needed by `../../../objs/ftrandom'.  Stop.

ftrandom doesn't get built automatically at all..

> is there a typo? should libfreetype.a be libfreetype.la?

This isn't a typo.  ftrandom indeed expects `libfreetype.a' (this is,
it fails if you don't build a static library) -- I'm too lazy to
generalize it.  It's not a program you should normally need since its
purpose is very special.

Are you sure that you are running `make install' as the superuser?