Re: [ft-devel] Type 1 fonts: Freetype 2 vs T1lib

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Type 1 fonts: Freetype 2 vs T1lib
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 16:55:42 +0200 (CEST)

> I would like to update VFlib [1] from Freetype 1 to Freetype 2.

Aah, Hirotsugu's project is still alive?  I met him a few years ago in
Tsukuba, but even then he told me that he didn't have much time to
work on it...

> So I would like to know if Freetype 2 would be sufficient for using
> Type 1 fonts, compared to T1lib.

Theoretically, this should work, especially if you work in the
autohinter mode of FreeType.  However, the native Type 1 hinting
engine of FreeType contains some known flaws, and noone is actively
working on it.  A few months ago someone suggested to pass the Type 1
hints to the autohinter (which is a good idea, I believe), but nothing
has happened in the mean time, AFAIK.