Re: [ft-devel] FT_LOAD_FORCE_AUTOHINT and FT_LOAD_FORCE_AUTOHINT

From: Derek Clegg
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] FT_LOAD_FORCE_AUTOHINT and FT_LOAD_FORCE_AUTOHINT
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 10:04:26 -0700

On May 27, 2007, at 11:34 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

Whatever font it is, the images do *not* show `PMingLiU' from
mingliu.ttc!  This font can't be displayed with the autohinter because
the glyph components need the bytecode interpreter to be positioned
correctly.  Please always use ftview, ftstring, or ftdiff to inspect
the font.  At the font size you are showing, mingliu.ttc contains
embedded bitmaps to improve the rendering, BTW.

Can FreeType return glyph paths from mingliu and other fonts which need the bytecode interpreter for positioning? In my experiments, I've failed to get correct results, but that may be my error — I may not have supplied the correct combination of build parameters and flags. In my case, I'm only interested in the path, not bitmaps. Thanks for any info!

Derek