RE: [ft-devel] compiler warnings produced by the RVCT ARM compiler

From: Graham Asher
Subject: RE: [ft-devel] compiler warnings produced by the RVCT ARM compiler
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 10:42:23 +0100

Werner,

I am sorry but I shan't be able to work on a ready-to-run ARM compilation.
The trouble is, I am committed to working six days a week at the moment, and
I can't face doing any more.

On the subject of the ctype.h functions, there is nevertheless still a good
case for removing the dependency on them. They are used in parsers for
certain pieces of textual syntax in Type 1, CID and other files; these
formats are fixed, while the ctype.h functions are locale-dependent.
Potentially a perverse implementation of ctype.h could, for a certain locale
and certain font files, change the behaviour of FreeType. This is a small
but real risk.

There is really no good reason for FreeType to use these functions, when the
only required tasks are to identify uppercase and lowercase ASCII characters
and decimal and hexadecimal digits.

Is there a good argument for using the ctype.h functions that outweighs this
consideration? In general, I think the presumption ought to be on the side
of not using standard library functions unless their behaviour is not
locale-dependent or dependent on any other factors outside FreeType, and
either (i) they are trivial and are generally implemented correctly - like,
for example, strlen; or (ii) they provide a standard wrapper to platform
facilities - like, for example, fopen, fread, etc.

Best regards,

Graham