Re: [ft-devel] rendering differences between 2.2.x, 2.3.x and CVS

From: Pierre
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] rendering differences between 2.2.x, 2.3.x and CVS
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 19:16:39 +0200

Bonjour David :)

Thanks for your quick reply!

On 4/26/07, David Turner <address@hidden> wrote:
Bonjour Pierre,

the difference in text height is explained by the fact that, until recently,
a value of 0 for y_dpi in a call to FT_Set_Char_Size was incorrectly
interpreted as
the default resolution of 72dpi, instead of meaning "same as the horizontal
resolution"

this means your code was doing FT_Set_Char_Size(face, size, size, 100, 72) in
2.2.x
and FT_Set_Char_Size(face, size, size, 100, 100) in 2.3.4 and later

Thanks, I did not notice this change. I updated the example (maybe you
should update the examples in the tutorial part 1&2 as well?) and it
works as expected.

the Ubuntu version uses the bytecode interpreter, hence the difference with the
release version of 2.2.1

the 2.3.4 and CVS version should have identical rendering. I think that the
image
shown on the bottom right corner is incorrect, it looks like the one from 16pt
instead
of 20pt

You are right, it is now the correct image.

Having yet a working and simple example, I was finally able to
reproduce the initial bug. A rotated text (axis aligned) have
different sizes.

I added a 96dpi (which is the default in PHP/gd) and a 100dpi:
http://pierre.libgd.org/ft2/96dpi/
http://pierre.libgd.org/ft2/100dpi/

I suppose there is little to do to fix this problem but to increase
the default resolution?

In the worst case, I can simply expose the dpi option (I can't really
change the default one without breaking tons of apps out there).

Hope this helps,

It definitively does. This kind of details helps me a lot to clean the
libgd code and to significantly improve it (it is quite old...). I
hope I can start to add the new features soon (like what is described
in the ftdiff demo or other new options).

--Pierre