Re: [ft-devel] Z/OS status

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Z/OS status
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 21:30:04 +0200 (CEST)

> In partial answer to my own question, I modified
> include/freetype/tttags.h as aluded to in a previous post, to change
> all of the lines like
>
> #define TTAG_avar  FT_MAKE_TAG( 'a', 'v', 'a', 'r' )
>
> to lines like
>
> #define TTAG_avar  FT_MAKE_TAG( 0x61, 0x76, 0x61, 0x72 )

So my guess was correct.

> I can send a new version of the tttags.h file for inclusion in CVS
> if required.

Mhmm, as mentioned in the other mail, this isn't an elegant solution
since it uglifies the source code.  I'm currently thinking of tagging
all affected strings with a no-op macro, say,

  ASCII("This is a string which must stay in ASCII")

and replacing all character constants with C_A, C_B, etc.:

  #define C_A  0x41
  #define C_B  0x42

After this has been done, a small script just needs to catch those
tags.

BTW, how are PS fonts handled on z/OS?  Or, more general, how is
PostScript handled on z/OS?  Since PS is plain text normally, it could
be EBCDIC also.  I highly suspect that my naïve EBCDIC approach in
file src/psaux/psconv.c doesn't work correctly...