[ft-devel] Re: Your FreeType patch

From: Jens Claudius
Subject: [ft-devel] Re: Your FreeType patch
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 05:38:36 -0700 (PDT)

--- Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> Jens,
>

> I'm going to integrate your type1 patch
>
>   https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?func=detailitem&item_id=4944
>
> Do you have time to revisit your changes so that it applies cleanly to
> the current CVS?  May I also ask for a ChangeLog entry?

Werner,

I can surely prepare a patch against CVS. But I would like to point out that
some of the fixes in the patch are more Requests For Comments than actual
implementation.

Let me discuss them in order, quoting my comments on
https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?func=detailitem&item_id=4944

> 1) Top-level procedures are now skipped by the parser,
> e.g., /foo { /FontName (X) def } def has no effect;...

I suppose this is uncontroversial.

> 2) The Type 1 decoder now stores the operands on
> the stack as 16.16 values...

This surely needs more work. As mentioned, t1_builder_add_point
throws away the extra precision and FT_Fixed might be too small
to store all possible values. However, this looks like a lot more work
and quite intrusive, which is why I refrained from a complete treatment.
Someone of the core developers (you? David?) should look at the problem
and decide what to do.

> 3) Preliminary support for multiple master fonts like Adobe Jenson...

Again, this isn’t ready. The Type 2 machinery must be pulled into the
Type 1 interpreter for these fonts. Quite intrusive, I think, so I’m leaving
a decision to the experts.

> 4) Added support for OtherSubrs 19 -- 25, 27, and 28,...

and

> 5) The pop(s) to a callothersubr can now be part of a subroutine..

OK as is, I think.

If there are no objections, I’m going to prepare a patch with 1), 4), and 5).
Or do you want three separate patches (and if so, in which order) ?

Jens