Re: [ft-devel] Unix Font Performance/Rendering patches available

From: Frederic Crozat
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Unix Font Performance/Rendering patches available
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 18:29:44 +0200

Le jeudi 18 mai 2006 à 01:36 +0200, David Turner a écrit :
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm proud to announce a new page, containing patches for various libraries
> using FreeType, in order to improve performance and/or rendering quality
> on Unix systems. You'll find it at:
>
> http://turnerdavid.neuf.fr/freetype/patches/font-patches.html
>
> you'll find two patches at the moment, one speeds up fontconfig cache
> regeneration speed in important ways for systems that have not upgraded
> to FreeType 2.2

I've pushed this patch in fontconfig cooker but as expected, I didn't
saw any performance improvement since we are now using freetype 2.2.1.

> the other one implements ClearType-like LCD filtering, and fixes
> Cairo/libXft
> to enable light-hinted subpixel rendering. This feature might ultimately be
> implemented within FreeType, but I'm still too unsure of the patent
> situation
> regarding this technology to do that now.

I've tested the cairo patch and there are some problems with
gnome-font-properties :

In "Details", test each hinting mode with subpixel rendering. Then,
switch to graylevel rendering and switch hinting => fonts will be
rendered as color subpixel rendering, except for "no hinting" settings.

I didn't had time to investigate this problem more precisely (but I
remember having this kind of issue when I initially rewrote the cairo
hinting selection part, based on your earlier suggestion).

--
Frederic Crozat <address@hidden>
Mandriva