Re: [ft-devel] Direct Rendering with Win32

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Direct Rendering with Win32
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 10:48:27 +0200

Hello Alex,

what you want to achieve is not very clear, but if you want to ensure that vectors are sent to your printers, instead
of bitmaps, through GDI, I can only suggest the following:

A/ load the glyphs as outlines (i.e. using FT_LOAD_NO_BITMAP when calling FT_Load_Glyph)

B/ if face->glyph->format is FT_GLYPH_FORMAT_OUTLINE, you can then call FT_Outline_Decompose
to decompose the glyph vector into a series o line and curve segments.

C/ the callbacks provided to FT_Outline_Decompose should call the corresponding GDI functions, i.e. MoveToEx, LineTo, PolyBezierTo, CloseFigure. You might need to convert quadratic beziers to
cubic ones, but this is rather trivial.

D/ don't forget to bracket these calls with BeginPath and EndPath to get filled glyphs.

Hope this helps,

- David Turner
- The FreeType Project (www.freetype.org)

Murillo, Alex a écrit :

Hello,

I am attempting to render freetype glyphs directly into a windows device context. In other words, I do not want glyphs rendered as bitmaps because in print scenarios the print spooler becomes exponentially larger than the original document size. Specifically, in our application, text rendering uses the standard freetype mechanism (under windows), which is to lookup the glyph, render the glyph, then take the returned bitmap and BitBlt (GDI API) the bitmap into a memory compatible device context (which is based on an actual device context e.g. screen or printer…). As you might already recognize, in a print scenario we simply reuse the display code to render text into the printer device (instead of the screen).

However, as stated before, this is the source of our problem because ultimately the operation performed against the printer device is a raster operation and not a vector operation. In my limited understanding, the raster operation results in bitmaps actually pushed into the postscript and not vector commands, which results in large printer spool files (I have confirmed in testing). Incidentally, I have scoured the web and this mail group but have not seen anyone who has experienced this issue on any level. Nor have I have discovered anyone who has made any attempt to direct render the glyphs into a windows device context. Ironically, I have seen other font engines that use freetype as their underlying font library, which seem to offer this functionality. So, I have to believe this is possible. I’m still searching but hope someone here has an answer, as I am running out of options.

Thanks Alex