Re: [ft-devel] 2.2 doc updates, tag moved

From: Steve Langasek
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] 2.2 doc updates, tag moved
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:42:52 -0700

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 11:07:52AM +0200, David Turner wrote:
> Steve Langasek a écrit :

> >On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 10:50:07AM +0200, David Turner wrote:

> >I've just tested this version and found that there's a regression building
> >ft2demos 2.1.10 against it
> First of all, the ft2demos release are *always* tied to the
> corresponding freetype2 one, which means that
> we do not guarantee that ft2demos 2.1.10 would build or work correctly
> with anything other than
> FreeType 2.1.10

> I guarantee you that this is not the first time that a new release of
> the font engine broke the build of a previous
> version of the demo programs. This is purely intentional, since we also
> use the demo programs to experiment
> a bit (e.g. with the cache sub-system, or with the hint algorithms, etc...).

That's fair; it was only because I saw that this symbol was listed as a
publically exported function that I brought it up.

> We changed the function signature because it was inconsistent with the
> rest of the API[1], and we know of no library or
> program that uses the stroker at the moment (except ft2demos), mainly
> because this component was still highly
> experimental and had some important bugs anyway. That is, until now
> (i.e. it is now stable and part of the public API)

> We thus estimate that this will create zero problems. However, if you
> can name a single Debian package, except ft2demos
> that relies on the stroker, I'll accept to postpone the release a few
> days to revert the signature and provide an alternative
> function that takes a FT_Library instead.

Nope, I've just reviewed all packages depending on libfreetype6 in sarge and
sid, and freetype2-demos is the only match on FT_Stroker.  So please go
ahead with the release. :)

Thanks,
address@hidden                                   http://www.debian.org/