[ft-devel] TT Bitmap FONT with PCL5 Printer driver

From: Dale Hill
Subject: [ft-devel] TT Bitmap FONT with PCL5 Printer driver
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 09:46:54 -0700

All,

I am working with a TrueType Bitmap FONT that I intended to download to a printer. I am have trouble figuring out how to calculate the dimension values used in the Format 20 Font Resolution Specified header. The values in particular are: Cell width, Cell Height, Pitch, Height, xHeight. The font is 10 point and the printer resolution is 600 DPI. It seems like it should be a simple calculation but when I compare the header values generated by another printer I can’t figure out how they got their value. The values they get are:

Cell width = 48

Cell Height = 127

Pitch = 6.25

Height = 30.28

xHeight = 62

Can someone please give me a few pointers here?

Thanks,

Dale