Re: [ft-devel] LIGHT hinting enhancement back-ported to FreeType 2.1.10

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] LIGHT hinting enhancement back-ported to FreeType 2.1.10
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 08:16:46 +0100

hello,

what you see is normal, since the LIGHT hinting mode also *forces*
auto-hinting (after all, "light" hinting doesn't mean anything to the
bytecode
interpreter)

to solve your problem, simply update your fonts.conf rules to set "full"
hinting for Arial and other fonts you want to see handled by the bytecode
interpreter

Apart from that, Firefox, as well as a few other applications (and even
Gnome widgets !!) don't properly respond to changes in the fonts
preferences dialog, you can however restart them after your change, and
everything should work

Hope this helps,

- David Turner