Re: [ft-devel] rendering differences between OS X and Win32

From: Kevin Barabash
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] rendering differences between OS X and Win32
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 09:36:44 -0700

On 12/26/05, Kevin Barabash <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 12/26/05, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 03:29:22 -0700
> > Kevin Barabash <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > >I'm try to write a cross platform application and I'd like there to be
> > >uniform behaviour when it comes to rendering fonts.  Unfortunately I
> > >ran into a bug and just to make sure that there wasn't a problem with
> > >my code I wrote a short test program to highlight the bug.  Here's a
> > >list of the program and the output for both OS X and Win32.
> >
> > I'm interested in the bug you reported, but
> > I don't have enough time to track indepth
> > mechanism. Give me 2 weeks before join to
> > discussion...
> >
> > BTW, the font file arial.ttf is same?
> > It is taken from MSIE fonts? If you see similar
> > bug in various fonts, please let me know - we
> > can test on other platforms too.
>
> I thought for some reason, freetype might be accessing a system copy
> of the font so I removed the font file from the directory on each
> platform and of course the program crash.  The font file arial.ttf is
> the same.  The specific file is taken from Microsoft's core font
> collection: http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/

Problem solved.  I replaced the official binary libraries with mingw
compiled libraries I found at http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php
which was a lot easier than compiling freetype myself because I'm
using VPC and it's slow.  I'm guessing that maybe the official binary
was compiled with MSVC and some it's behaviour is a little different
than gcc.

Kevin