Re: [ft-devel] Illegal cff font

From: George Williams
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Illegal cff font
Date: 09 Dec 2005 13:58:14 -0800

I received the following asking me to retract a comment I made. I will
provide the following clarification:

I received a pdf file from a user.
  This file claimed to be created by PDF-XChange
  This file contained an illegal type2 font.
   The font appeared to have been generating by subsetting a type1 font
   and converting it into type2 format leaving in seac, and calls to
   othersubrs routines.

I cannot verify that the file was indeed created by PDF-XChange, though
that seems likely. Nor can I verify that PDF-XChange produced the
incorrect font-subset.

On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 02:54, John Verbeeten wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>
> I have come across the message posting below, which as the publisher's of
> PDF-XChange is somewhat
> concerning.
>
> PDF-XChange is a Virtual print driver and library of PDF
> creation/manipulation tools and does not
> create or modify fonts in any way - further more we only
> write/modify/extract images and text etc
> to/from PDF files - not '.pfb' or CFF or any font file type.
Um, if you are writing text into pdf files then you are probably
including fonts, and probably subsetting them.