Re: [ft-devel] No support for side-by-side installation of x86-64 andi38

From: Ilya Konstantinov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] No support for side-by-side installation of x86-64 andi386
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 19:17:28 +0200

On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 02:01 +0900, address@hidden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 11:30:03 +0100
> "Antoine Leca" <address@hidden> wrote:
> >BTW, this is not really cross-compiling. Real cross-compiling IMHO usually
> >involves having a cross-compiling target environment, different from the
> >host environment (usually selected as "higher priority" flags overriding the
> >normal ones).
>
> Yeah, as you pointed out, the standard cross-compiling...

Okay, so it's not "cross-compiling" in the normal sense of the word.
Still, x86_64-targeted gcc can emit i386 code very easily (by adding the
-m32 argument) so any x86-64 installation can easily double as an i386
build machine.

> ... but I don't know if it's for developer environment
> compatibility. I'm afraid that there are many softwares
> that we cannot share header files between i386 and x86-64
> architechtures.

(Frederic Crozat pretty much said it all... And whatever they do in
Mandriva, is also done in Red Hat and Fedora.)

Having installed, on Fedora, many development packages in both x86_64
and i386 versions concurrently, there are hardly any packages that
collide. Whenever headers are arch-specific, they're either:
1. Moved to lib (e.g. /usr/lib/glib-2.0/include/glibconfig.h)
2. Moved to a special directory (e.g. /usr/include/asm-x86_64/errno.h)

I prefer option (1), since option (2) is only used by the Linux kernel.