Re: [ft-devel] No support for side-by-side installation of x86-64 and i3

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] No support for side-by-side installation of x86-64 and i386
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 18:42:52 +0900

Hi

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 19:02:52 +0200
Ilya Konstantinov <address@hidden> wrote:
>Currently, freetype i386 and x86-64 collide in the following files:
>/usr/bin/freetype-config
>/usr/include/freetype2/freetype/config/ftconfig.h

I see.

>This makes installation of two freetype development kits impossible.
>Installing two development kits is desirable when the developer does
>plenty of cross-compiling to x86-64/i386, which is often the case on
>x86-64 machines.

I see. Let me clarify the condition: the issue you reported is
specific to GNU/Linux on x86-64, ppc64 and s390x. Grepping
configuration files of X11R6.8.2, I found that only GNU/Linux
on these processors use special separation of libraries by
lib & lib64 (no separation for binary executables, header files).
Such co-existence of multiple binary formats might be useful
on mips64, sparc64 and sh64 either, but I could not find such
library separation for these processors. Oops, yet I've not
checked the situation of MacOS using ppc32 and ppc64.

Do you know Linux's policy to use, or not-to-use lib/lib64
library separation? It's important to determine the suitable
directory to install. For the first step, configure script
can be used to find the system uses lib/lib64 library separation,
but it's insufficient to support cross-building completely.

>It would be very much desired that:
>1. freetype-config would be recoded to detect its environment and return
>the appropriate directories, thus creating a single copy of
>freetype-config on equal-prefix builds *or* freetype moved to pkgconfig
>(freetype-config may remain a frontend)

Umm, moving to pkgconfig sounds easy solution.
But I'm afraid about the systems using freetype-config
without pkgconfig. How pkgconfig separates lib/lib64?

>2. ftconfig.h would be moved to the lib(64)/config directory, just as it
>is for glib2 etc.

Sounds reasonable, although I want to revise configure.ac and
builds/unix/ftconfig.in to support both platforms (ah, I must
learn more about Jam for multi binary formats). BTW, when the
header files are different between i386 & x86-64 (I call it as
arch-dependent), GNU/Linux for x86-64 always separates arch-
dependent files out of /usr/include? Such softwares are exceptional?

Regards,
mpsuzuki