Re: [ft-devel] BDF and FT_Set_Pixel_Sizes

From: Chia-I Wu
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] BDF and FT_Set_Pixel_Sizes
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 19:35:37 +0800

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 11:53:01AM +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> How do you come to this conclusion?  The original BDF specification
> (found in the X11 distribution) says that both FONT_ASCENT and
> FONT_DESCENT are *logical* values.  They don't guarantee that all
> bitmap glyphs are within this range.
Sorry, I thought they are calculated (5005.BDF_Spec.pdf doesn't mention
them).  Still, then we should set y_scale to
8 / (face->ascender + face->descender) in, for example, Set_Pixel_Sizes
in ttdriver.c, shouldn't we?

I found docs/CHANGES mentions this change and it says FT_Set_Pixel_Size
is used to select actual font dimensions (the `strike'), not the nominal
size.  Maybe my question is what "actual font dimensions" mean?

olv