[ft-devel] Re: [freetype-autohint] Bitstream Vera and tilde

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [ft-devel] Re: [freetype-autohint] Bitstream Vera and tilde
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:38:37 +0200 (CEST)

> > If you can reproduce the problem with this application, it is
> > usually a problem of FreeType2.  Otherwise, it might be a problem
> > somewhere else.
>
> If I run the command
>
>     ftview -r 96 -f 97 ppem \
>     /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-bitstream-vera/Vera.ttf
>
> tilde displays correctly, but that's at 64 points so it's not much
> of a clue.

???  I get a visual tilde for all sizes down to 5pt, using monochrome
display (to make the display worse) and autohinting!  With other
words, this

  ftview -r 96 -f 97 4 Vera.ttf

then pressing `a' and `f', shows something different from a dash,
still resembling a tilde.

It seems that something is seriously broken at your site.  Which
version of Vera.ttf do you use?  I have the font dated 2003-Apr-16
(the `modified' value in the `head' table).