Re: [ft-devel] Freetype on Mac uses deprecated functions

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Freetype on Mac uses deprecated functions
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:11:15 +0900

Dear Sirs,

Finally I've finished benchmark testing of
"Resolving QuickDraw FontName by ATS, without QuickDraw API".
The result is summarized at:

        http://www.gyve.org/~mpsuzuki/ats_benchmark.html

>From the benchmark result, rewriting FT_GetFile_From_Mac_Name()
with keeping full compatibility with QuickDraw FontName
without QuickDraw FontManager API is very very slow,
it wouldn't payable solution.

In fact, in comparison with original QuickDraw API,
it will be 20 times slower on Panther (Mac OS X 10.3),
and 500 times slower on Cheetar (Mac OS X 10.0).
I think using QuickDraw FontManager API is simple and better.

When we ignore the QuickDraw compatibility, some font names
will be unresolvable after upgrading FreeType. For example,
on Panther, I can find "Courier CE" by QuickDraw, but cannot
find that by ATS.
Correctly speeking, this is not FreeType's problem. There is
fundamental incompatibility of font menu based on QuickDraw
FontManager and that based on ATS. Also this difference is
summarized in the page in above.

Let me ask a question, which is better solution?

Fix A:
        FT_GetFile_From_Mac_Name() is kept for QuickDraw.
        Add FT_GetFile_From_ATS_Name() for ATS.
        To avoid "XXX is deprecated" warning,
        FT_GetFile_From_Mac_Name() should be excluded in building.

Fix B:
        Change the behaviour of FT_GetFile_From_Mac_Name()
        as system-dependent. If configured for ATS only,
        it will be incompatible with QuickDraw configuration.

Regards,
mpsuzuki