Re: [ft-devel] Freetype on Mac uses deprecated functions

From: Sean McBride
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Freetype on Mac uses deprecated functions
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 13:31:13 -0400

On 2005-09-06 10:54, address@hidden said:

>The function resolves "abstract" fontname recognized by system
>to "concrete" file, but the resolved result is returned by
>obsolete FSSpec structure. ATS provides the replacements for
>the most functions of FontManager, by 1:1 corresponding functions.
>But FontManager does not provide function to return font file
>by FSRef structure, and ATS does not either. In fact, there's
>no ATS function to find font file for a given font name,
>except of ATSFontGetFileSpecification().

Unfortunately I think you are right. :(  But ATSFontGetFileSpecification
() is not deprecated, so you can use that.  Then convert the FSSpec it
gives you into something else, like an FSRef.  I filed a bug with Apple
to make an FSRef version of that function.

>I'm afraid it will be
>deprecated in future.

They will only deprecated it if/when they replace it.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 address@hidden