Re: [ft-devel] discussion of truetype glyph loading code

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] discussion of truetype glyph loading code
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 07:40:38 +0200 (CEST)

> This patch does the changes (avoiding unnecessary array copying) I
> mentioned in the last post, along with a heavy cleanup of the
> truetype module.

I just skimmed it, and it looks fine.

> Since the only good thing of the cleanup is to make the code more
> readible and it risks unstablizing the truetype module, I'll remove
> it and provide a new patch without the cleanup if someone thinks
> it's totally stupid to include the cleanup.

What is really important is a comparison of FreeType with Windows,
especially for critical fonts like Verdana.  Ideally, someone writes
the equivalent to ftview or ftstring using Windows function calls.
Then a direct comparison of the created images can be done,
highlighting the differences.

    Werner

PS: Please don't include ChangeLog entries in a diff file directly.
    Instead, add it to the mail or put them into a separate file.  For
    example, I can't apply your patch to the CVS version without
    changing it slightly because I've fixed two small problems
    meanwhile which resulted in new ChangeLog entries.

PPS: I can't see a ChangeLog entry that tt_prepare_zone is now
     compiled conditionally.

PPPS: Perhaps it is useful to use uppercase letter for even for macros
      which look like a function (like tt_loader_set_pp), just as a
      reminder that calling them might have secondary effects.  BTW,
      this macro isn't mentioned in the ChangeLog either...