Re: [ft-devel] atilde in Bitstream Vera Sans

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] atilde in Bitstream Vera Sans
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 18:05:43 +0200 (CEST)

> Probably writing "9 or 10 points" would have been better than "16
> pixels and below".  Then the tilde is placed more to the left than
> the "a" itself.

Now I see the problem.  Debugging with fontforge shows the reason: The
outline points of the `a' base glyph are grid-fitted towards right,
while the tilde is grid-fitted towards left.  This creates the ugly
shift of one pixel.

To verify whether this is really a font problem (which I believe it
is): Can a good guy on this list provide an image of Vera.ttf's
`atilde' at 7pt/96dpi with Windows?  BTW, at 8pt/96dpi a similar
problem shows up for `acircumflex' and `adieresis'.