[ft-devel] tt_cmap4_char_

From: Dirck Blaskey
Subject: [ft-devel] tt_cmap4_char_
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 21:08:50 -0700

Hi Werner, et al.

I've had some trouble with ttcmap.c:tt_cmap4_char_next & index
with a particular font.  The "new" code with the #if 1 doesn't work,
and the "old" code does.

The font has 3 segments: start/end: 1/255, 0/0, 65535/65535
so the binary search doesn't work.

the validate function explicitly doesn't check for this case
unless if ( valid->level >= FT_VALIDATE_TIGHT )
because of "popular Asian fonts", which is unfortunate
because presumably these popular Asian fonts won't work with
the new code; or maybe they do, I have no idea.

Also: there's a lot of redundancy between these 2 functions;
something could be factored out.

If I can come up with a patch, instead of just a complaint, I'll let you know; I can probably hack up a fix for this particular case, but it might be better
to detect out of order segments and set a flag to use the old code,
or just forego the new code altogether.

Let me know if you need more info,