Re: [ft-devel] Current (20050315) CVS causes segfaults in xfce4-session

From: GhePeU
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Current (20050315) CVS causes segfaults in xfce4-session and matlab
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 14:52:45 +0100

Il giorno sab, 19/03/2005 alle 11.47 +0100, David Turner ha scritto:

> There is little we can do with so few information regarding your system.
> Here are a few suggestions however:
>
> - the first thing to try is to undefined the #define FT_OPTIMIZE_MEMORY
>    macro within <include/freetype/config/ftoption.h>, rebuild and
>    re-install the library. Please report if this improves the situation
>
> - the problem might come from the fact that one of Pango, FontConfig
>    or LibXft access internal FreeType structures that have changed in
>    this release. Could you try to recompile these libraries to their
>    latest versions and tell us if it solves anything.
>
>    We're also interested in the version numbers of the installed
>    versions of these libraries on your system
>
> Regards,
>
> - David Turner
> - The FreeType Project  (www.freetype.org)

I made some tests:

freetype2-cvs with '#define FT_OPTIMIZE_MEMORY' --> crash
freetype2-cvs without '#define FT_OPTIMIZE_MEMORY' --> ok

freetype2-cvs with '#define FT_OPTIMIZE_MEMORY':
with pango 1.8.1 compiled against 2.1.9 --> crash
with pango 1.8.1 compiled against current cvs --> xfce4 ok, matlab crash

fontconfig 2.2.3 doesn't seem to be related to the crashes, at the
moment I can't check Xft because it is provided by xorg 6.8.2 and I
can't recompile the whole X server now (besides, matlab gui is java
based).
with freetype 2.1.9 and pango compiled against current freetype CVS
xfce4-session segfaults so the problem is probably related to
freetype/pango and perhaps freetype/Xft interaction.

giacomo

--
When Adam delved and Eve span,
Who was then the gentleman?