Re: [ft-devel] gcc 3.3 `fixes'

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] gcc 3.3 `fixes'
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 11:41:00 +0100 (CET)

> > I'm not sure whether your fixes for gcc 3.3 are the right ones.
> > If you say `make devel', the option `-fno-strict-aliasing' is
> > explicitly set to avoid those warnings.  Isn't that sufficient?
>
> Well, I use 'jam', not make, and set the optimization flags by hand.

Tsk, tsk, tsk.

> I only use "-W -Wall -ansi", which is why I didn't spot the problem
> (I was missing the -pedantic flag :-)

I strongly suggest that you add the equivalent to `make devel' to the
jam files so that the special development configuration files of the
`devel' subdirectory are used.  This prevents, among other things, the
eternal problem of accidentally switching on and off the bytecode
interpreter in `ftoption.h'.  You might also look at the file
`builds/compiler/gcc-dev.mk' for the list of compiler flags which I
use for development.

> Maybe we'd better come back to the previous code then, I think I'll
> get used to putting '-fno-strict-aliasing' in my OPTIM variable.

Well, according to the gcc documentation, there might be some benefit
if strict aliasing is followed.  Any idea whether it is worth the
trouble?

> Could you do that?

Yes, but please first answer my question above.  If you intend to do
something into this direction it might be more comfortable for you if
I don't touch the memory macro code.