[ft-devel] Re: [Devel] Problem with Monospace at size 8

From: Adam Sampson
Subject: [ft-devel] Re: [Devel] Problem with Monospace at size 8
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:41:32 +0000

(Resending this, since it looks like it never made it through
originally...)

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 09:29:04PM -0200, Mateus Gröess wrote:
> I am having problems with "Monospace" and "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono"
> capital letters at size of 8 points after upgraded to X.org 6.8.1 of
> Slackware-current. I was running X-Free86 4.3.0 with freetype-2.1.7
> without similar problems.

Hrm -- coincidentally, I've just been looking at some screenshots from
earlier in the year, and was surprised how much better the unhinted
rendering of Bitstream Vera Sans used to be when I was using 2.1.5. I'm
wondering if this might be a related problem, since it looks like some
glyphs are now getting rendered a pixel narrower than they should be for
both of us.

Here's a side-by-side view, with the old screenshot on the left and a
similar new one on the right:
  http://offog.org/stuff/freetype-vera-5-9.png

The individual glyphs are being rendered much the same, but the spacing
between them isn't correct in the new one. Look at the "it" in "Hit",
and the "ys" in "Days"...

I can try going back version by version to see when it changed, unless
anybody's got any immediate ideas on what's causing it?

Thanks,

--
Adam Sampson <address@hidden>                        <http://offog.org/>