Re: [Devel] Re: ftdump, and oto question.

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [Devel] Re: ftdump, and oto question.
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 18:26:36 +0200

On Thursday, July 15th, 2004 6:04, Werner LEMBERG va escriure:

> [About very old CJK TTFs which are rejected by FreeType]
> Thanks.  This is a strange font -- it starts with the byte sequence
> `0x00 0x02 0x00 0x00', while a normal TTF must start with `0x00 0x01
> 0x00 0x00'.  If you change it, the font will be loaded.

Damn'd... This reminds me of things years (8? 10?) ago...

Besides testing with Windows, you should perhaps be picky in the _version_
of Windows: if I remember correctly when I encountered one of them, only
East-Asian versions of Windows dealt with them. I had to apply the similar
hack you did to load them on my (European) Windows.

I have no idea what are the differences between both formats. I believe it
might be a simple protection to prevent CJK fonts to load on European
Windows 3.1 (which would not be able to decode the cmap). But perhaps it is
more complex that that.

Perhaps asking in OpenType forum, if Greg Hitchcock is still reading ;-) ?

Antoine