Re: [Devel] FTC_Manager_New num_sizes question

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] FTC_Manager_New num_sizes question
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 00:40:44 +0200

Hello,

Ken Hancock wrote:
I had been going under the assumption that:

num_faces = 2
num_sizes = 2

Would mean that in my cache I could have Arial 14 & 18 point as well as
Times 14 & 18 point.  However, looking at FTC_SCALER_COMPARE it seems that
it checks the face_id as well as the size which means that I can only have
only two of the above 4 combinations.

Nope, "num_faces" and "num_sizes" correspond to the maximum number of
concurrent faces and sizes that are held in the cache, and since each
size depends on a face, you'll need "num_faces=2" and "num_sizes=4"
to get what you want.

(don't worry, this will really use 2 sizes per face)

Is this the original intention?  Is there a clearer way to document this?  A
default of 4 sizes in light of this seems a bit small...

The default are conservative and appropriate for embedded systems, use
different values if you want.

Regards,

- David Turner