[Devel] Moving the location of "lsb_delta" and "rsb_delta"

From: David Turner
Subject: [Devel] Moving the location of "lsb_delta" and "rsb_delta"
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 22:21:21 +0200

Hello,

  I'd like to inform you that I moved the location of the definition of
  the "lsb_delta" and "rsb_delta" fields that were recently added by
  David Chester to FT_GlyphMetrics (they're now in FT_GlyphSlotRec).

  The old location did BREAK BINARY COMPATIBILITY, which had the potential
  to create *serious* trouble on any Linux or BSD installation upgrading to
  the CVS sources.

  Please be _extremely_ cautious when adding new fields to public structures
  in "freetype.h" and similar headers !!

Regards,

- David Turner

PS: Retrospectively, Werner's addition of the "x_ppem" and "y_ppem" fields
    to the public FT_Bitmap_Size structure also did break binary compatibility
    for those apps that did access the structures directly.

    It's a miracle that such a thing didn't create more trouble than currently
    seen...

    I suppose that it's too late to get rid of it though, since I believe
    recent versions of fontconfig use these..