RE: [Devel] incorrect types for some arguments in the TrueType driver

From: Graham Asher
Subject: RE: [Devel] incorrect types for some arguments in the TrueType driver
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:44:02 +0100

Steve Hartwell said:

<<<<<<
TrueType glyph indexes are limited to unsigned 16-bit values; by
specification, there cannot be more than 65,536 glyphs in a TrueType
font.

This is a detail of TrueType. FreeType uses 32-bit values. For example,
FT_Get_Char_Index returns FT_UInt, and FT_Load_Glyph takes FT_UInt. For
consistency, drivers for specific typeface formats should accept this type.
They can reject any out-of-range values.

I have forwarded this comment to Lex Warners to see what he says. I expect
he found that compiling FreeType for Palm OS using Code Warrior produced
either warnings or errors caused by type mismatches.

Graham Asher
Cartography Ltd.