Re: [Devel] Re: extra metric points

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] Re: extra metric points
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 07:59:41 +0100 (CET)

> > Before you've mentioned this a few days ago I've never heard of
> > this.  Do you volunteer to update FreeType?  BTW, please provide a
> > link to the relevant part of the OpenType specification.
>
> This is strange.  I noted this point litteraly years ago, inside the
> Freetype 1 interpreter (it was about GETINFO).  Unfortunately, I
> refrain to comment it, and certainly to include it in the
> documentation, probably because I was missing time to oinvolve me in
> the required developments...  But it did not occur to me it was
> something that Werner missed... or perhaps I am mixed up things
> here?

:-) Let me reformulate.  Maybe four years ago I was aware of the
problem, but meanwhile I completely forgot it.

> I must add that obviously, the "n+2" and "n+3" do not come neither
> from the 'glyf' nor the 'hmtx' tables. Since it is not required, the
> 'vmtx' table is certainly not alone involved in this process.

A good observation.  We could simply use the top and bottom of the
local bounding box.

> When this table is missing, I do not know from where come the
> informations. I remember Werner implementing some sort of hack to
> deal with such fonts, and comenting the hack was not really

Uh, oh, I don't remember at all.  What are you referring to?

> The important point here, is that if we implement these vertical
> metrics, we really should update the values returned by GETINFO[]
> from the current 3 (meaning Windows 3.1, no vertical support) to
> something more in line with current reality!  Since we do support
> gray rendering, I believe 35 (Rasterizer 1.7) is a good value;

Hmm, I'm not sure whether this is correct.  AFAIK, we don't have
special code in the bytecode interpreter for gray rendering.