Re: [Devel] freetype enhancement request

From: Albert Chin
Subject: Re: [Devel] freetype enhancement request
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 12:28:10 -0600

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 10:41:10AM +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > > Already done in the current CVS.  Please test.
> >
> > This is not portable. You assume that rpath entries are additive. On
> > Tru64 UNIX, HP-UX, and AIX, they are not.
>
> Maybe you've seen my message sent recently to the libtool list,
> asking for assistance.  Can you suggest a better solution?

I cannot think of a portable solution. The problem is only when
someone combines the freetype-config output with rpath output from
another tool. The only solution to this is to use some type of wrapper
script that combines the rpath options. I think libtool with -R will
do it but making freetype-config dependent on libtool seems
unreasonable.

Internally, we *replace* the /bin/ld on AIX, HP-UX, and Tru64 UNIX
with a binary wrapper that combines rpath entries then runs the real
linker. Yeah, it's not pretty but there is no easier solution I can
think of.
  http://freshmeat.net/projects/wrapld/

One possibility is to add the rpath entry only on the systems where
rpath is additive (Solaris, IRIX, Linux).

--
albert chin (address@hidden)