[Devel] Renaming PfaEdit

From: George Williams
Subject: [Devel] Renaming PfaEdit
Date: 25 Feb 2004 11:39:24 -0800

On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 02:05, Turner David wrote:
> By the way, in a similar vain, what about renaming "PfaEdit" to something
> a bit more catchy ? I mean, here's a great program with a very poor, and
> even misleading, name. What about something like "Font Forge", which doesn't
> seem to be taken yet ?
You are right, it should be renamed. Others have told me this too. I
haven't done anything about it partly out of laziness, partly because
there's never been a point where I felt that the program had recently
changed enough to warrant a new name, and partly because I haven't come
up with a good one. I rather like FontForge though...

(At one point PfaEdit was apropos, but it kept accreting features)

Other suggestions
   Fontissimo
   Font Workbench
   Boustrophedon
   glyph
   gramma
   Daedalus
        was my favorite for a while (I've never understood why URW
        named their program after the guy who failed to fly, rather
        than the one who succeeded)... but that seemed a bit
        presumptuous (or hubristic I guess would be a better term
        given the context).
   FreeFont
        (to match freetype) sounded good, but then I decided that
        people would think it was a public domain font rather than
        an editor.
   FalseType
        sounded amusing, but isn't good advertising.
   Fontastic
        (a play on fantastic) has already been used.
   Fonciful
        (fanciful) perhaps...
   Scribo
        but that's better for a word processor...

Any suggestions or votes?