[Devel] 2.1.5rc1 and bytecode interpreter

From: James H. Cloos Jr.
Subject: [Devel] 2.1.5rc1 and bytecode interpreter
Date: 02 Sep 2003 03:42:35 -0400

The current gentoo ebuild for freetype does this to enable the
interpreter:

append-flags "${CFLAGS} -DTT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER"

I've confirmed that -DTT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER does in
fact show up in each call to gcc during the compilation.

Nonetheless I only get autohinting from 2.1.5rc1.

In a manual compile, actually changing the #undef to #define succeeded
in enabling the interpreter, but fo whatever reason defining it on the
command line no longer overrides the #undef.

I cannot be certain whether the partial-interpreter is active; I'm not
sure what font I should look at to check that.  Perhaps a -U option or
an additional -D option is needed?

Adding -UTT_CONFIG_OPTION_UNPATENTED_HINTING to the CFLAGS does not
lead to any noticable changes.

Am I missing something obvious?

My prefered UI fonts just don't look nearly as well w/ the autohinter
as they do when their intstructions are interpreted.  (The instructions
ensure that up to 17 pixels high the stems are one pixel wide; as such
they look as good a bitmap fonts w/ diagonals and curves smoothed out.)

-JimC