Re: [Devel] Very bad spacing/kerning on OS X

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [Devel] Very bad spacing/kerning on OS X
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:11:56 -0400

Around 12 o'clock on Jul 25, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>       * include/freetype/t1tables.h (PS_FontInfo): Change
>       italic_angle, is_fixed_pitch, underline_position, and
>       underline_thickness to pointers.

I would strongly encourage you to reconsider this change; breaking both
source and binary compatibility in a minor library revision is pretty
harsh on those of us using the library (and yes, I use this structure
extensively).

The API is structured so that you can extend the PS_FontInfoRec without
hurting binary compatibility, so I would encourage you to:

        * add new fields at the end of this structure

        * continue to compute the (inaccurate) integer fields

        * provide a binary mechanism for determining whether those new
          fields are present; perhaps FT_Library_Version is sufficient.

-keith