Re: [Devel] Very bad spacing/kerning on OS X

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] Very bad spacing/kerning on OS X
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:05:46 +0200 (CEST)

> It seems I've missed a few messages on the mailing list.  Why isn't
> 2.1.5 not binary compatible with 2.1.4?  I consider this to be a
> *serious* mistake.

This fix of a major bug:

  2003-05-30  Werner Lemberg  <address@hidden>

        Avoid overwriting of numeric font dictionary entries for
        synthetic fonts.  [...]

        [...]

>       * include/freetype/t1tables.h (PS_FontInfo): Change
>       italic_angle, is_fixed_pitch, underline_position, and
>       underline_thickness to pointers.

        [...]

Theoretically, it would be possible to avoid that change by collecting
italic_angle and friends internally, assigning them afterwards to
PS_FontInfo, but this would be very inelegant and completely different
to the handling of all other values in that structure.

This breaks binary compatibility, right?  I'm not completely sure what
changes are allowed to not break binary compatibility...

BTW, is there a simple (and reliable) test for binary compatibility?