Re: [Devel] A new CFF encoding bug

From: Ivan Nincic
Subject: Re: [Devel] A new CFF encoding bug
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 16:07:22 +0000

> The problem is with the following font:
>
>     http://www3.telus.net/public/ab114139/font_bug.cff
>
> It is a CFF encoding bug.
> The problem is that face->num_charmaps returns 0. Not a single charmap is
> initialized.

Well, this font doesn't contain an encoding!  Most of the glyphs can
only be accessed by glyph names.

But if there is no encodind available (i.e. custom encoding) we can't access glyphs by names either ?

Anyway, I've added support to recognize `uXXXX[X[X]]' glyph names so
that a few glyphs get proper entries in a synthesized Unicode charmap.

Werner,

I think that in this case there should be at least a custom encoding (in addition to an optional Unicode encoding). I am right or wrong that a font (Type1, CFF) should always have at least a custom encoding.

Note that the glyph names in the font are probably buggy too: There
are glyphs named like `u069' or `u064' -- it seems the last character
is missing.

Please test.

See http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/type/unicodegn.html for a detailed algorithm on how to map new glyph names to Unicode.

Ivan Nincic