Re: [Devel] Converting fonts to CEF...

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] Converting fonts to CEF...
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 12:29:34 +0200

Hello George,

George Williams wrote:
On 2003.05.08 00:31 Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> Is it possible to use the freetype project to convert other type of
> fonts (true-type, type 1 etc.) to CEF fonts?

Not directly.  Try http://pfaedit.sf.net instead; if pfaedit can't
handle that format you should convince the author to implement it.

Could someone point me to some docs for CEF? I hadn't heard of it before this question arose, and a quick search didn't find anything helpful...

There are no documentation on CEF. The origin of the format in FreeType
dates to the first version of the Adobe SVG Plugin, which pulled files
with names like "helvetica.cef" from Adobe's Demo SVG pages.

A quick view in a hex editor showed that these were simply OpenType/CFF
fonts without the few mandatory tables like "head", etc.. which is why
adding support for them in FT2 was trivial. I needed that to test the
SVG rendering library I was developping at the time.

I don't know if CEF is still in use, but the format is pretty easy
to generate. Make an OTF/CFF font and strip some of its SFNT tables.

Hope this helps,

- David Turner

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for the
addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error, please
delete it and immediately notify the sender.
Any use not in accordance with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure,
either whole or partial, is prohibited except formal approval.
The E-Mail transmission can not guarantee the integrity of this message.
CANAL+TECHNOLOGIES will not therefore be liable for the message if modified.