Re: [Devel] freetype-config --version / pkg-config

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [Devel] freetype-config --version / pkg-config
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 23:22:00 +0200

Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
  I think I would prefer that freetype installed a .pc file, so we could
stop using freetype-config once and for all and use 'pkg-config
--modversion freetype' instead.

Sorry for the question from the neophyte/ignorant, but is pkg-config as
portable and widely available as is the current tools.
And as a particular point:
 a) can we live without any pkg-config (i.e., can we build on a bare Unix
  without any pkg-coinfig in sight)
 b) if not (a), can we ship the library without the pkg-config tool (and
  directing people to the correct to download it)
 c) if not (b), should we include pkg-config in the tree, with a particular
  emphasis put upon the slight fact that last time I looked it, it was GPLed
  (and need glib to build, but that is a lesser problem)

Antoine