Re: [Devel] Help me understand this... I'm loosing my sanity. Please.

From: Billy Biggs
Subject: Re: [Devel] Help me understand this... I'm loosing my sanity. Please.
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 12:32:26 -0500

Vincent Caron (address@hidden):

> This is a Type1 font, so the TrueType byte code interpreter does not
> come in the way. It can be an hinting error in the font itself (is
> RedHat using an updated font file ? Here it is n021003l.pfb). It maybe
> an Xft configuration issue, RedHat can disable hinting for specific
> fonts at given sizes when it proves to improve rendering quality. Etc

  Another note about using the ttf over the pfb version: xft2 won't load
the kerning data from afm files for pfb fonts, so the font won't have
any kerning information.  I don't know if the luxi ttf fonts include
kerning data (I haven't checked), but that might be an advantage of
using the ttf over the pfb version.

  -Billy