Re: [Devel] freetype2 FT_FREETYPE_H macro bug

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [Devel] freetype2 FT_FREETYPE_H macro bug
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 11:21:32 +0100

address@hidden wrote on Friday, February 28, 2003 11:42 AM

> Is there a reason why the directory is called "freetype" rather than
> "freetype2"?

Yes, a very good one, even if it looks completely futile and useless to you.
It is called 8.3 (or M$DOG) compatibility.

>   Since apps are supposed to always use the macros, it
> should be possible to rename it without breaking backwards compatibility.

Yes, it *should* be possible.
But from freetype to freetype2 is really asking for trouble. If it is to be
renamed, it should be to something like "ft2", or even "freetype.2" (has
been
proposed in the past, but do not receive much support).

> Also, if the directory is renamed then we could get rid of the requirement
> to have an extra include directory on the compiler's include path (i.e.
'gcc
> -I/usr/include/freetype2' so it can find
/usr/include/freetype2/freetype/freetype.h)
> by simply putting the includes one level up (i.e.
/usr/include/freetype2/freetype.h).
> This would make it easier for applications to find the FreeType2 headers.

This one I let David or Werner asnwer it.

Regards,
Antoine