Re: [Devel] Fw: Freetype Mac font questions

From: Dan Williams
Subject: Re: [Devel] Fw: Freetype Mac font questions
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 11:06:41 -0600

Hi,

I've copied in an email I sent to Torrey Lyons about freetype explaining my problem... I see two solutions in correcting it:

1)  Use face_index in dual capacity:  its an FT_Long, so use the
upper 16 bits as the res_index, and the lower 16 bits as the
face_index. Pro:  full access to FOND & 'sfnt' resources.  Con:  kind
of breaks the meaning of the API.  ie it now means something totally
different for Mac OS X than other platforms.

2)  Use face_index as an absolute index to all 'sfnt' resources in
the font:  ie it would have nothing to do with res_index, but when
face_index = 12 for FT_New_Face() for example, where FOND 1 had 6
faces, FOND 2 had 5 faces, and FOND 3 had 5, you would have to go
through _all_ FOND resources and count the faces in that FOND, if its
not in that FOND move to the next one, if not there then next, etc.
Pro:  full access to FOND & 'sfnt' resources, keeps compatibility
with the spec in a roundabout way, platform "independent" to a degree
(ie doesn't expose Mac specifics).  Con:  performance degradation
when using large face_indexes.

We get into the issue of Apple's 3-level font hierarchy: File->FONDs->sfnt/NFNT, whereas TrueType collections are only File->Fonts. Its ugly, I know :)

In terms of correcting this issue, I was trying to make it so that the person using Freetype would have to know as little as possible about the structure of a Mac font (ie wouldn't have to access resource fork), but I'm not sure this will work out. I've been whacking at Freetype for the past two days making patches for this but I'm not ready to submit them yet...

Dan