[Devel] Using freetype on the Mac

From: Joseph Kappl
Subject: [Devel] Using freetype on the Mac
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 03:13:07 -0800

Hello,

I downloaded the "ft2demos-2.1.3" and am trying to work with it
on a mac using codewarrior.

I am unclear about how to proceed. From the documentation and the makefiles
I think I need to compile the library first and then use the library to try the demos.
How do I compile the library using Codewarrior ?

Many of the files rely on a header file entitled "ft2build.h" which doesn't
seem to be in the download. Is there another download that contains it ?
Perhaps I have not downloaded the code for the library...

The mac folder has wrapper code for the ftview and ftview demos.
Are there no mac wrappers for the other members of the ft2demos modules
such as ftstring, ftbench, etc ?

The mac community is in the process of moving to Mac OSX slowly
and falteringly. I believe that because freetype uses Carbon.lib that
it might be compiled in either classic or OSX and this is the full
expression of portability between the two. Nothing else is required. True ?

Joseph J Kappl is the CEO of Peak Interactive Books, Inc, an original publisher of interactive works in print, CD-ROM and web formats. He can be reached at

Peak Interactive Books, Inc
31220 La Baya Drive #110
Westlake CA, 91362
818-991-8491.