Re: [Devel] German umlauts with Freetype 2?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] German umlauts with Freetype 2?
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 04:31:43 +0100 (CET)

> But when I use german umlauts only a square is displayed instead of
> the right letter. So I may be right if I think this means, that I'm
> not using the correct character code. But which code should I use?
> Is there a possibility to change this behaviour with FT_Set_Charmap
> and FT_Encoding? Does somebody know a solution for this problem?

Normally, TrueType fonts contain a Unicode charmap, and for
non-TrueType fonts, FreeType synthesizes a Unicode charmap if
possible.  In Unicode, the character range 0x00-0xFF is equivalent to
Latin-1 (plus control code range); this means that you have to use
e.g. 0xDF as the input character code for `ß'.  If you use the latest
CVS snapshot of Unicode, a proper Unicode cmap should always be
selected by default, but I recommend to select it explicitly with
FT_Set_Charmap.