[Devel] why is it?

From: ShuDan
Subject: [Devel] why is it?
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 10:34:44 +0800

Hi, the glorious heros from freetype:

    I am glad to have a question to ask you.

    I don't mean it to be a bug. But I am not sure of the internals.

    The problem is that when I use freetype to display Chinese glyphs at a
certain size value, it's not supported as well as those at other values. That
is, while I use
                FT_Set_Char_Size(face, 0, pt*64, 0, 0);
for Chinese glyphs, the pt of 12/13/14/15/16/18 are not of good display
result.
     I enclosed the bitmaps of these and nearby pointsizes to clarify the
above. Of course, the ASCII character glyph has not such problem.

     I doubt it is because that at small sizes, the rasterizer can not
display the glyph at a continuous changing value by incrementing one point
style. It's mathematical and of font design. But I am not sure of this and doubt
that
the discretion of so large a value is not a good way for man.  I learned that
the default Windows dpi is 96, and that of Mac is 72. Since some of the font
sizes frequently used fall into the above pointsize range, even when I change
the default 72 under linux(the last two 0 in the function) to 96 it is still
within, it is a concern in the practical significance.
     So that I send you this mail for your guidance.

     Best regards.

         Yours sincerely, Danshu