Re: [Devel] Re: Linux Console in UTF-8 - current state

From: David Starner
Subject: Re: [Devel] Re: Linux Console in UTF-8 - current state
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 02:19:53 -0500

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 10:25:36AM +0400, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> On Monday 07 October 2002 9:18 am, David Starner wrote:
> |
> |  > There are some rather good fonts available *for free* for
> |  > Latin+Greek+Cyrillic alphabet.
> |
> |  Which is but a small subset of Unicode. That doesn't cover the 1200+
> |  mathematical characters (which keeps growing), the 1000+ technical
> |  characters, or the many other scripts in Unicode.
>
> And than this looks like problem of this "scientific publisher" only :-)

I would regard supporting the mathematical characters to be important.
At least at my college, if I want to see Un*x being run, I walk around
the math department, not the English department.

> |  They have free fonts; they have translators. The main missing component
> |  is support for the scripts.
>
> ok, than they should write scripts, too.
> I hardly see how FT is related to thier problem (if your explanation is right)

What I meant was support for the writing scripts, like Dengevari, which
needs to come from FT and like places.

--
David Starner - address@hidden
Falshe fridn iz beser vi a rikhtige krig. /