Re: [Devel] Re: Linux Console in UTF-8 - current state

From: Vasilis Vasaitis
Subject: Re: [Devel] Re: Linux Console in UTF-8 - current state
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 09:03:37 -0300

On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 07:35:53PM +0400, Vadim Plessky wrote:

> Let's also clarify a few things here.
> Do you speak about CJK fonts, or about Latin+Greek+Cyrillic fonts, right?
> There are some rather good fonts available *for free* for
> Latin+Greek+Cyrillic

  Not to my experience. There seem to be a lot of Latin+Cyrillic fonts
around, and I would guess that at least some of them have quite good
quality, but for Greek fonts this is not the case. OTOH, there is a
serious shortage of Greek fonts that are (a) indisputably free, and
(b) of adequate quality so as not to pop my eyeballs off their
sockets. No, come to think of it, there is even a shortage of Greek
fonts that only satisfy the (a) condition.

> alphabet. And I am working on set of my own fonts (Latin+Cyrillic, Greek can
> follow, as it's not extremly difficult to add if you have already Cyrillic
> glyphs)

  Well, it's not that easy either. Capital letters are almost ready if
you have capital Latin & Cyrillic ones, but a lot of the small letters
are *very* different from anything else in the other scripts.

  Anyway, I don't intend to criticise anyone, just wanted to clarify
some things...

--
Vasilis Vasaitis
address@hidden