Re: [Devel] sub-pixel RGB rendering: do we need it? [Re: FT_Set_Hint_Fla

From: Artur Zaprzala
Subject: Re: [Devel] sub-pixel RGB rendering: do we need it? [Re: FT_Set_Hint_Flags() , etc.]
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 12:06:56 +0200

Vadim Plessky wrote:
May be, we should better migrate AA grayscale renderer to 12bits, or even 16bits of gray per pixel (instead of current 8bit), and experiment with this?
Are there any LCD panels, or CRT diaplys allowing more than 8bits per pixel?

I think in early 90's CornerStone had some displays capable of more than 8bits of gray.
Does someone know something about this?

In the mean time, I guess it's posible to do 12-bit or 16-bit rendering internally, and than scale results to 8-bit using some non-liner filtration method.

Grayscale image in linear-light space (e.g. pixel coverage computed by freetype) requires about 14 bits per pixel to get the same perceptual luminance resolution as an 8-bit gamma-corrected image. Read more in Frequently Asked Questions about Gamma http://www.inforamp.net/~poynton/notes/colour_and_gamma/GammaFAQ.html#smoothly_shade

But I don't know if increasing bpp will give visible improvment for AA text.

--
Artur Zaprzala